Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Platonic Love OR Peekaboo Love?

Dear Readers:

Once upon a time, if you had asked me my views regarding a lasting platonic friendship to exist between the opposing genders, I would have voiced a boisterous “yes.” I now realize, however, that the path of friendship in scenarios as these is riddled inevitably with one or the other individual developing attraction or feelings for the unsuspecting friend; the attraction or feelings may develop slowly, but it will definitely occur at one point of time in the course of the friendship. The only case where I find this likelier not to occur is when either of the persons in the platonic relationship is already infatuated with or devotedly committed to another individual (and sometimes even that is not a deterrent). Another friendship case that I find plausible in lacking the potential for romance concerns either of the persons in the platonic relationship “truly” finding the other person unattractive physically. And that lack of physical attraction can be a result of sometimes sisterly or brotherly feelings for the member of the opposite sex. Odd, is it not? I would never have realized the blurred lines in friendships between platonic love and potential for future romance had I not witnessed the events unfold before my own two eyes in the case of a very close friend. Though I had heard or observed such events unfold from both proximity and distance at other times, my friend’s case really jarred me awake to “peekaboo love” amidst avowals of “just friends” from people involved in friendships with the opposite sex.

Out of consideration for my dear friend’s privacy (in the unlikely scenario that one of you should know her personally), I will keep attempt to keep her identity a secret by henceforth referring to her as “Sandy.” Of course, I do not know of any person in my acquaintances’ or friends’ circle named Sandy, which makes the utilization of this name convenient for my purposes of building upon my earlier assertion of truly platonic feelings not possible in a friendship unless one meets the criteria in which I find this probability to be slim. Just to refresh your memory, the question is whether long-lasting platonic love possible in a friendship between the opposite sexes, especially when the two genuinely begin with only platonic feelings for each other. As my friend, Sandy, discovered, the answer is mostly “no.”

I had met Sandy in my freshman year of college. Sandy is a very lively, fun-loving, audacious, trustworthy, and loyal individual; to top it all off, she possesses a lot of common sense, which is why this instance would lead me to dismiss my earlier professions of only platonic love possible in friendships between the different genders. Since I had always thought of her as a person with no reservations about sharing her feelings with me, I was surprised to observe that she appeared nervous and a bit lost in her own thoughts that fateful day she told me about her not-so-platonic feelings for a certain friend.

Though I am a very perceptive person, I had dismissed my initial observation of her nervousness that day as overactive imagination because I could not imagine why. So, I continued to converse with a passive Sandy that day, oblivious to the turmoil in her heart. But in the middle of our walk on campus, I distinctly remember that she had suddenly turned to me. Biting her lower lip and avoiding my eyes directly, she had said in a simple yet hesitant manner, “I like someone.” My reaction, as the girly girl I am, had been an excited exclamation, “Really? Who? Do I know him? Tell me; tell me.” At her silence, I had said with a knowing smile, “So, that’s what has been going on in that ‘beautiful mind’ of yours? Me likey.” I had laughed at my own quirky remark while she had remained silent but shooting darts at me with her expressive eyes for (what she probably deemed) my ill-placed humor.

“So, are you going to tell me or what?” I suppose she had been unable to resist my enthusiasm because I could see her previously hazed, dark eyes light up with humor again. In mock contemplation, with a moment’s pause, she had said, “Or what.” In my classic, mature behavior, I had made a face. And she had laughed. I had asked again, this time with a gentle prodding and genuine curiosity, “So, who is he?” The name she had taken had halted me in my tracks. He was our friend. He was like the brother that I had never had. And she liked him? (I shall henceforth refer to him as “Xavier” in the post.) I realized she needed me to say something that was helpful, but I could not come up with anything at such a short moment’s notice. Plus, I did not understand the situation and was curious as to how she had developed her liking for Xavier.

Sadly, I confess to my unoriginal, pathetic query, “Why do you like him?” After she explained to me that they had been spending a lot of time together, that she found him nice, charming, and funny, and that “he rocked her world” with his idiocies, I told her that I understood. To be honest though, I did not understand. But since as a friend, she needed my support rather than questioning of her judgment, I asked, “What do you plan to do about it?” She told me that she would tell him. I was shocked again. (If I were in her place, my own cowardice alone would have kept me from ever confessing my feelings; as a disclaimer though, I wish to add that I have never been nor do I plan to be in her place because I do not easily befriend anyone, let alone any member of the opposite sex.) Though I supported her decision as a faithful friend, Sandy soon found out that Xavier did not share her sentiments. That is when I began to think seriously on platonic love.

Can there be platonic love between members of the opposite sexes? I think not, for I do believe that spending time with someone does develop within any person a “soft corner” for that friend of the opposite sex. Unless that “soft corner” is entirely fraternal and/or sororal in nature, I can see how people of the opposite sex can get easily ensnared in the tangle of false security of liking someone as just a friend and later realize that one has developed attraction or feelings for the person instead. Think about it: Great friendships, in most people’s personal definitions, comprise sharing of and honest dialogue on one’s emotions, desires, and dreams. If one inspects the instance closely, you will realize that the expectation from a life partner is very similar to the definition of a great friendship: listening, conversing, and sharing of life, dreams, emotions, and desires. Then, it is easy to see how the lines of friendship can become blurred.

I ask you: How can you not feel attracted to a person of the opposite sex that you feel knows you inside-and-out, can complete your utterances before you, understand your thoughts before you do so, can tolerate you for more than an hours’ end at a time, and accepts you as you are? Most people assert that they want to be able to imagine or see a best friend in their prospective romantic partner. Why? An ideal marriage or romantic relationship comprises of a friendship between the opposite sexes; that is why. After all, what is to say that a platonic friendship will not lead to the development of the foundation for love and romance? I harrumph at platonic love because of the lurking possibility for that “something more” in the platonic relationship unless the aforesaid criteria of “unattractiveness” or “fraternal/sororal love” is met that assuredly eliminates the possibility of future romance. And therefore, if you happen to assert to your friends and family about “just being friends” with a certain her/him, do not expect them to not raise their eyebrows. Not all friendships are platonic; in fact, many, friendships are not platonic, despite the original intention for it to be or remain so. Within the friendship might lie that “something” simmering below the surface that both people are oblivious to. But can you deny that it might be there?

Sincerely,
Ek Umeed

P.S. My post is not meant to be a warning against or disapproval of friendships between members of the opposite sexes but meant to highlight my wariness of such a friendship. Can friendships between the opposite genders ever truly consist of platonic love? What are your views on the subject? Any personal experience with the matter? Do share.

8 comments:

Rajavel said...

So you see one platonic relationship go into a romantic phase and you lost faith in platonic relationships ? interesting !! Arent you retrofitting your explantion to a situation on hand !? Btw , hows your realtionship with Xavier ? isnt it one that of platonic / frienship / brotherly whetever still ?

Ek Umeed said...

Hi Cheti! First off, I welcome you to my blog! :) And thanks for your comments. ;) You have forced me to contemplate some more on my rationalization and explore my feelings on the subject. Well, I will attempt to do just that by answering your rhetorical, subtle, and obvious questions.

Yes, I do not possess a lot of faith on platonic relationships in general unless the people in those friendships admit to their "friend" fitting the said "platonic relatinoship" criteria of unattractiveness or inherent fraternal/sororal love. And well, though I did give only one example of a platonic relationship having the possibility of turning into prospects for a romance from the girl's perspective, I have seen the "phenomenon of shift in friendships occur" over and over again to my consternation. In fact, i have had a chance to observe it occur in the circle of my relatives and close friends. To cite another example, I know of a couple who first were friends, then became best friends, and realized that they were "made for each other" all in the space of two years that they had known each other. I am sure that if you had asked them earlier about their involvement with each other, you would have heard voicferous denials and seen puzzled expressions on their faces regarding the possibility of a "something more" quotient in the friendship.

Moreover, movies have also explored this particular theme of what I term "peekaboo love." In the Bollywood movie, "Maine Pyar Kiya," the villain of the story says with utmost confidence, "Ek ladka aur ek ladki kabhi dost nahin ho sakte." [Translation: "A guy and a gal can never be friends."] In the movie, "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai," the protagnist Rahul falls for his best friend Anjali. He says at one point in time (something to the effect of), "Pyar dosti hai." [Translation: "Love is friendship."] Of course, these movies are based on fictional characters; however, in my opinion, the reel-life themes reflect the pattern of real-life's goings-on.

Many people of the opposite genders enter into friendship with the expectation of having the friendship not turn into something more, but they never take into account that it could turn into something more. And yes, my friendship with Xavier does not have that possibilty of romance ever because: 1) I feel only sisterly love for him; 2) I am neither attracted to him nor do I find him attractive (on account of reason number one); 3) I neither spend as much time with him as I do with my female friends nor do I plan to; and 4) I prefer to maintain a respectable distance in our friendship and other friendships where the opposite sex is involved.

Moreover, the Hollywood movie "When Harry Met Sally," also explores the theme of platonic love between the opposite sexes. A quote from the movie perfectly encapsulates what I have reservations about regarding friendships between the opposite sexes. To Sally's reminder of what Harry had earlier said about men and women not being able to remain "just friends," he says, "No, no, no, I never said that... Yes, that's right, they can't be friends. Unless both of them are involved with other people, then they can... This is an amendment to the earlier rule. If the two people are in relationships, the pressure of possible involvement is lifted... That doesn't work either, because what happens then is, the person you're involved with can't understand why you need to be friends with the person you're just friends with. Like it means something is missing from the relationship and why do you have to go outside to get it? And when you say 'No, no, no it's not true, nothing is missing from the relationship,' the person you're involved with then accuses you of being secretly attracted to the person you're just friends with, which you probably are. I mean, 'Come on.' Who the hell are we kidding? Let's face it! Which brings us back to the earlier rule before the amendment, which is men and women can't be friends."

Ek Umeed said...

Sonia, it was a pleasure receiving comments from you on my email; since I have no way of communicating with you except via the comments' section on my blog, I wish to convey my thanks to you for sending me your remarks. I am happy that you enjoyed my posts. :) Keep smiling.

Rajavel said...

EU
Thanks for the welcome. I just clicked and clicked and ended up in your blog ! dont remember the path !
Got to give it to you for the detailed anaylsis ! But still, Platonic relationship is like a cat on the wall ! It has the potential to tip either way at any time ! But things dont always tip over ! They some times just find a cosy stretch on that high wall and doze till eternity ! Cats have that ability : to keep dozing !

mezba said...

It's usually the guys who want something more I think - girls are usually happy to remain platonic. However the guy's description of something more may fit more of your 'toad' level than the 'princess' level ;-P

Ek Umeed said...

Mezba, you do know how to make a girl laugh. Aha! So, I have been right all along! Almost all guys have toad-like thinking, owing to their "toadness" factor (not a real word or term) in general. Hehe. ;)

(Clears throat.) Ahmm. So, you do believe guys are likelier to lean towards the "something more" quotient? Interesting. I thought it was the other way around. Any personal experience? Ah, if so, I would be interested to learn about it someday on your blog! (Oh, wait a minute, mister. Why do I think that you are thinking to yourself, "Ah-uh: Never." Oy-ve, my psychic powers!)

zee said...

hello:)

thnx for visitin my blog.u hav a gr8 blog yourself.

I myself only started bloggin in nov last yr which makes me also rel new to da bloggin world. one ting I hav realised though is that,jus like in da 'real world', the bloggin world also has its own little communities.so u will find common bloggers commentin on various blogs in dat 'community' ...n since u stumbled upon 'my' community,expect many bloggers dat comment on my blog to be visitin yours:).....ok ok, I know I know I'm rambling on here on tings that havin nuttin to do wit da anythin!!!!. so now to comment on your post.

I agree wit u totally that a platonic relationship cannot succeed if one o da parties experiences some sort of physical attraction 4 da other. cause den da 'frendship' has already started off on da wrong foot. ull find many a person denying their initial attraction 2 sum1 if they're not convinced o it workin. but could it work? a platonic relationship wit the opposite sex? I tink so. I hav many a relationships like dat that will never go further then that.
But I hav also found that when I hav a 'slight' attraction to someone, a platonic relationship will never work because boys will be boys and 9 out of 10 times, theres always n ulterior motive for being in that friendship in the first place!!:)))

Women on the otherhand r slightly different. they may not initially find themselves attracted to sumone, but, as I hav found, can eventually start experiencing some sort o attraction to a male 'frend' after spending lots of 'alone' time with that guy. I've seen this happen toooo many times to pass it off as a rarity. I don't know why there is tis diff though between the 2 genders...maybe its because women r more in touch with their emotional side den men which makes em more perceptive of a persons other qualities that make that person appealing/attractive.

ill def b bookmarkin your site sweetheart. really nice:)

btw...r u from canada by any chance?...your writin style has canadian written all over it;)
I don't mean anythin by dat...I jus thought ill throw it out there!:)

take care n hav n awesome day!

Ek Umeed said...

(Thoughtful.) You know, you’re the second guy on my blog who has insinuated that boys may have ulterior motives in befriending someone of the opposite sex. Really, I am intrigued; gaining insight into the mindset of men is an enlightening experience. Yes, I think you have the “right of it” on the matter of women (sighs); women do tend to gravitate towards the “something more” zone after spending quality time with the person of the opposite sex in question.

Am I from Canada? No, but I did wish so sometimes "back then." (Bringing out the pretend granny glasses. Lol.) I am from the good ol’ United States. (Curious.) Anything in particular in my writing that gave the impression that I was from Canada? (Side note: My Canadian cousins are obsessed with Canada; they complained about all things American when they came to the United States. Oy-ve! What has the world come to? It doesn’t matter, people! We are all at residence on the same continent North America! Sheesh! Hmm, just had to get that off of my chest. :p)