Tuesday, October 03, 2006

25 Little Nothings That Gives A Peak Into Me and My World

..Dear Readers:

Though many of you read your favorite blogs regularly (or at least try to) and perhaps have stumbled recently onto my blog by accident or invite, I wonder how many of you really know the people you visit the blogs of; I am referring to the “real” people behind the screen typing away their thoughts, passions, and life’s idiosyncrasies. So, just to demystify myself somewhat to my audience as a blogger, I shall share with you 25 little nothings:


1. I am: vivacious, yet reserved, and compassionate, empathetic, sincere, and faithful.


2. To me, blogging means: being creative in penning your stories and/or analysis, being expressive about your life experiences, and giving your readers a window to your soul and/or mindset.

3. My first crush: was when I was six; I thought I would be singing Bollywood songs with one cute and macho-wannabe eleven-year old boy, and live happily-ever-after. Alas, there was no happily-ever-after. (Sighs.)

4. My family is: my world, and the reason I smile.

5. I could die for: my family.



6. I am superstitious about: the nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach and “evil eye.”



7. I don’t like people who are: habitual liars, hypocrites, misanthropes, misogynists, abusers, betrayers, leeches, sycophants, phonies, and lechers.



8. I am scared about: dying before I live my dreams, and losing my family.



9. I would probably scream if I saw: creepy-crawlies, and shadows in the dark.



10. My favorite cuisine is: Indian, Italian, Greek, and Middle Eastern.



11. If I could be any animal, I would be: a bird because I want to fly, and I envy them the freedom that I imagine they have of building their nests where they will. Oh, to be free! Glorious indeed!


12. My best qualities are: my ability to be there for someone no matter what, capacity for unconditional love, sense of humor, wittiness, sharp dressing sense, and nurturing nature.

13. My worst qualities are: my moodiness, temper, oversensitiveness, indecisiveness, propensity towards procrastination, and lack of organizational skills.

14. I hope to improve upon: my lack of mastery over elocution, and timeliness.


15. What most people don’t know about me is: I prefer to call myself spiritual rather than religious and that I am goal-oriented; and I am likely to forgive anything for a box of chocolates, flowers or any such thoughtful gesture or gift. (Sentimental fool, I know!)

16. My favorite actor is: nobody, honestly; I do like certain actors, but it is not for their acting ability, for sure. (Hint: I like them for their _ _ _ _ _. Got it? Looks!)


17. My favorite actress is: Rani Mukherjee; I love her charismatic on-screen presence, and the warmth and welcome she seems to exude in her every smile. I also find her a superb actress, one of the finest in Bollywood. A “rani” (“queen”) indeed!


18. The quote that I find most funny is: the one oft found written behind the backs of trucks in India, “Buri nazar wale, tera muh kala.” [Translation: “Evil eye bearers, may your face be blackened with soot.”]

19. The quote that I find most inspirational is: Anais Nin’s thought, “Dreams are necessary to life.”


20. The quote that I find true to life is: Albert Einstein’s words, “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”


21. My pet peeves are: people forgetting important occasions such as birthdays or not giving enough importance to the significant dates in the first place, and sheer idiocy of people in general.

22. My secret is: (Hey, if I told you my secret, then it wouldn’t be a secret anymore!)


23. I like to wear: casual outfits such as comfy pajamas, jeans, shirts; but sometimes, I like to dress in extremely fancy outfits as lahengas, especially at desi weddings.


24. My dream wedding would be: on a beach with nobody but our families as witnesses to the holy matrimony. My hubby-to-be (whoever the unlucky guy is) and I would make a commitment to each other with the “nikah” recitation done by an Imam amidst our professions of, “Kabul hai” (“I accept”). Of course, that will remain a dream because I have a host of relatives and my mother would not let me do “man-maani” (“what I desire in my willfulness”) in this matter. (Sighs.)

25. My dream is: (I will reveal it to you when I achieve it. Otherwise, I am likely to sound like a dreamy fool.)


Sincerely,
Ek Umeed

P.S. I came up with these questions on my own and with inspiration from observing and reading umpteen times previously the usual format of questions asked in interviews of celebrities. So, now that I am done with the deal, I would like to say thanks to you all for visiting my blog, and writing your comments. I hope to see you back for more! I strongly believe that the quality of a blog is determined not by its writing, however good or bad it may be, but the quality of its readership. And therefore, I owe you my hearty thanks, for you all are indeed excellent!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog , keep up the good.

Ek Umeed said...

Thanks for thinking my blog is interesting, but I hope you find it is a "good" interesting. Dare I hope? Hehe. :) Thanks for your comment! Smile always! ;)

*Dulce* said...

thats sweet how you can forgive and forget for a box of chocolates or flowers. Mashallah. That is a very hard quality to find in people I think. most people even hold grudges against people for their whole lives which I think is a waste of time and energy.

Rajavel said...

ek umeed

nice blog !! Just a box of chocolates uh ! you must make it a little bit more difficult ! lol !

Ek Umeed said...

Good to see you both Fairydust and Cheti! ;)

Well, I think the key word here is "likely." I suppose the reason for my easy time with "forgiveness" is because my temper is much like ice-cream. My anger melts really, really quickly, partly because I am not an angry person by nature to begin with.

By the same token, it takes some provocation from someone to get me angry, but if I do get angry at the person, I am likelier to forgive the person within the same day and even in the space of a few minutes sometimes. (So, I guess I am not that bad with the forgiveness factor per se.) And besides, I do not believe it is healthy to remain angry.

I do not hold grudges generally because I agree they are useless and petty; however, if the person has really done me a grave injury or disservice from which I might not recover from easily any time soon, I am likely to not forget or forgive something like that for a longer time (and maybe I'd never forgive but I like to think that I would). I guess it all depends on the situation and how the person tries to make up for it. If the person has committed a minor offense in my book and has a box of chocolates at hand, a thoughtful gift, or just offers a genuine smile, I am likely to think to myself, "How can I possibly remain angry with this person?" Thereby, I move on.

I am beginning to think I might have mistakenly impressed upon you both the idea that I stand as the shadow of Mother Theresa with what I had written in my blog, though I had not meant for you to interpret my style of forgiveness so. So, let me explain: If the person is someone who has betrayed me in some fundamental way and done it deliberately to hurt me, I would have trouble finding it in my heart to truly forgive. And if I did forgive, I would not trust that person in the same vein ever again.

To me, a broken trust is much like a broken mirror. Even if you were to put all the pieces of the glass back together, you would never be able to have it the way it was before, which is to say, free of the ostenible cracks. And every time, you would look in the mirror, you would find your attention unwittingly drawn towards the cracks. Trust, in much the same way, can never truly recover from the blow; thereby, betrayal of trust never truly allows someone to forget but I like to think that human forgiveness is a surmountable feat. So, I like to think I would be the bigger person and forgive eventually, though it would be hard.

'liya said...

That was cute :) I like how you have pictures to go with each thing about you.

Anonymous said...

a fellow procrastinator eh? well you mentioned a tendency - that's good if it's just a tendency -i'd have to describe mine as full blown..

mezba said...

number 9 I concur with. Theoretically I think I would be less scared of a tiger in my room than a rat or a cockroach.

Sofi said...

box of chocolates? haha youre just easily pleased.

but i understand the forgiveness part in one of ur comments. i think i am much like that too. :)

Masood Ahmed said...

Ek Umeed nice blog. You write pretty well. I am sure you will be able to improve on elocution because you have a talent to use words effectively in writing.

zee said...

oh man, i like this one.

It was good - its always nice to get a glimpse into a persons life and their thoughts:)
thnx for sharing:))))

Ek Umeed said...

Liya: Thanks. I am glad you found the idea of putting up a picture with each facet of my life, a fact about me, or an aspect of my personality a good idea. Cheers.

Sonia: Hehe. Yes, I procastinate. And you're a full-blown procastinator, huh? Well, I definitely relate. ;) And I want to say more, but I will keep what I want to say for tomorrow. You get the idea? (Laughs.) Old habits do die hard.

Mezba: For the life of me, I cannot understand why I am so scared of creepy crawlies. Like you too, I know theoretically that I have the potential to crush them. But practically? Well, let us just say that I am the one that screams like a banshee when I chance upon the critters. (Shudders.)

Ek Anjaan Ladki: Oooh, it is good to know you're like me too in the "forgiveness" matter as explained in one of my comments. :) By the way, I visited your blog and was surprised to learn that you watch Kaisa Yeh Pyar Hai. Oh, my, that was my favorite show until all the twists ruined the show for me. But hey, be on the lookout for the new serial Kaajal that replaces the show for that time slot; I, for one, am looking forward to the new drama.

Masd: Thanks so much for the words of confidence; I just hope you're right. I do wish to become a great orator, especially since these skills will come in handy as an attorney in practice later in life. And well, I visited your blog. I must say: Good job! I will be posting a comment there soon.

Zee: Thanks for your comments. Hey, the paranoia apparent in your new posting induced a smile on my face but also a nervous chuckle. Your post is relevant to the happenings of the Information Age and the shrinking world. Ultimately, your new post brings to forefront the question, "Whatever happened to good ol' privacy?"

Anonymous said...

i'm like Mezba - id rather have a tiger/psycho in my room than that horrible insect. ugh. i can't even bring myself to say the word. i have nightmares..argh!

Anonymous said...

your 'little nothings' are very thoughtful:i'm enjoying reading this again. i like bit about the first crush - it's often quite a fun little insight into someone's world! ill share mine with you ;-)

i was 7 years old and he was 8 we were in the same class. he was Turkish and his name was Koray and he looked just like the little boy in the Never Ending Story.. aww.

Ek Umeed said...

Sonia, oh, et tu? Et tu means, "And you too?" (Laughs.) Hmm, so, if I were ever to encounter creepy crawlies, you, Mezba, and I would then hypothetically freak out? Hmm, who is going to be the rational one then and help us out by crushing the little buggers? (Thinks.) :D

Aw, Sonia, aren't first crushes the best? My first crush... (Sighs.) I was so innocent and thought I was in love too. Of course, I did not even know what love really meant. I had just weaved a "puppy love" fantasy, as children often do. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello


G'night